Monday, November 19, 2012

Happy Winter Birthday

I had some of that Spring Rain cardstock on my drawing table from the card from yesterday so I thought I'd make a birthday card for my husband's aunt. Her birthday isn't until the end of December but ya know - when the spirit moves you, you gotta go with it! I pulled out Papertrey Ink's Winter Hills - I sooo wanted to use that house image stamp again as well as the wonderful sentiment - Happy Winter Birthday (I don't know why I love that but I do!). I stamped the image onto the Spring Rain cardstock and used my Prismacolors (and a little mineral spirits) to color that in. Then I used the wee snowflake stamp in the set to stamp a partial background in Versamark on the left side of the card. I embossed that with white embossing powder. I used one of the Half & Half dies to cut out the white cardstock you see on the right side of the card - well actually I cut it out twice. I mounted the image onto the long piece and stamped the sentiment on the short white piece.  I liked the card but felt it needed something else and tried a variety of different ribbons and finally settled on using some bakers twine. (It kind of solved my dilemma having chose to color that barn and door in the image in a red prismacolor pencil - pulled it all together - see what i mean?) alrighty. I'm off to bake - today it's Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins for Thanksgiving (I gotta fit this stuff in when I can LOL) Have a good one!
editing to add a revised photo:
okay - so here on the left I've made a little change. I'd resisted tying that bakers twine - but today the card was sitting on my table still and I said what the heck. I took a piece of the twine and wrapped it around my hand 3 times then took that and tied it on the piece I'd already attached to my card - then snipped the ends. I'm happier with this faux bow then the original version of the card.  I should say at this point this twine is the real deal twine. On a huge spool - just like they used to used in the bakery when I was a kid. I see the kinds available now - so much thicker and very nice but I've got a huge spool of this - so use what you have, right? ok I need to make a birthday card now before I have to shut down my little craft room for Thanksgiving LOL. Too much cooking, baking etc for any craft time. Anyway - to all my fellow Americans - have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Very pretty! Great colouring!

Karen C. said...

Beautiful colouring. The Winter Hills set has a rustic and comforting look - just perfect for the holiday season.

Camilla said...

Its very sweet the card - the colors are frosty :) Suits the card perfectly

Babsarella said...

Love the colors stamps and bakers twine accents!! Perfection!!