Thursday, May 19, 2005

I knew I shoulda

worked on cleaning out my closet yesterday. I've got an organization coming to pick up used clothing tomorrow.i keep putting off going through my things. It's such a hateful task. I've been looking at this mess of a closet for months saying i'd get to it. So when the organization called a few weeks ago, as they do periodocally, i said - Yes, I've got some things - and put it on my calendar. Well one thing or another sidetracked me - along with my usual procrastination. Now when i return from work this afternoon I'll have no choice but to attack that closet. Yeah yeah. I'll be so happy tomorrow that i've done it. But this morning its just a bummer to think i've got to do this later.
There is also that pack rat thing i've got. I know i'll stand in the closet and have big issues with throwing away some things. I probably should just throw away those t-shirts my brother gave me - he had a little collection of fun ones - there is a lot of sentimental value there. Maybe i should take pictures of them? perhaps that'll make it easier to let them go. I certainly wouldn't wear them. I know this already. But its that they were his that makes me hold on to them. I know that's what it is. It would feel like i'm giving him away. Forgetting him. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's all so illogical - how could giving away a bunch of shirts make me feel so sad? Yeah i think i'll take the pictures and quickly stuff them into a bag and give them away to someone who needs a shirt.
I have my memories and i really don't need a t-shirt to remind me of those, now do I?

1 comment:

jen duncan said...

Yes, you DO need to keep them Tracy. Memory quilt, pillow, whatever. I just don't want you to have regrets later.