Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sprinkled with Sunshine Birthday Shaker Card

I'm back today to show you a birthday card I made for one of my sisters-in-law. Her birthday is coming up next week (I know... getting ahead here! yay!). I know from my own sister that just because your birthday is in October you don't want it to be about Halloween. You want it to be about your birthday right? Balloons, cupcakes, cake, streamers: yes! Pumpkins, witches, ghosts: NO!
I'd already decided I'd wanted to make it bright and happy and use those PTI Shakers & Sprinkles stamps and dies and sprinkles - a shaker card was in order. I'd chosen some Doodlebug Sugar Coated Cardstock in Tangerine (the color is gorgeous - I swear you could squeeze a glass of juice from it) for the die cut word on the front of the shaker. I cut that word out but added several diecuts cut from white cardstock to give it a little heft and make it stand on its own.  The background sunburst inside the shaker is patterned paper that came with the Shakers & Sprinkles kit. I added the stamped words ("I hope your day is" and "with sunshine" in Hawaiian Shores Ink. I decided using black ink would give it that Halloween look I was trying to avoid). I cut out the shaker frames and put it together using some of the "sprinkles" that came with the kit and also added some clear sequins I had in my stash. Finally, I tried a few different combos for that background the whole thing sits upon. I had been working on some scrapbooking and had a 6x6 pad of Hip Hip Hooray Doodlebug paper on my drawing table. There was one piece of paper that had orange polka dots I thought would work and I really liked the look - done.  I've made a lotta shaker cards in my time and I have to say this was probably the easiest one I ever made. The dies with the adhesive foam sheets (also PTI) really made it so much simpler. One last thing - I stamped the inside of the card as well as the envelope. The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink's Keep it Simple: Birthday set and the sunburst and twinkling stars are from the Shakers & Sprinkles kit. I often am in such a hurry I don't stamp the inside so it was nice to do it for this card. And I love stamping the envelopes for my cards - kinda bumps up the anticipation for the recipient yaknow? They know something special is inside right? I think she's going to like her card.
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

You make me wish I bought this set. Well, looks like I messed up then , because I always make my brothers card a Halloween card. I think you are right though. Next year I will send two. A few times I have.
Love the yellow on your beautiful card!